Head of History: Miss K Harrison
Teacher of History: Mrs J Scatley
History at HGSS is a successful and popular subject area with lessons being delivered twice a week for Years 7-11 and 4 times a week at Key Stage 5. The aims of the History Department allow students to:
- Describe and explain historical change and cause
- Analyse different features of historical situations
- Develop a knowledge and understanding of the main developments in key periods of History
- Explore the key features and characteristics of events
- Investigate the impact of events and reactions
- Investigate issues by evaluating and interpreting historical sources
- Develop research skills by completing and applying independent research to evaluate and analyse how the past has been interpreted and represented in different ways.
Overall, our main aim is to give our students the opportunity to develop a coherent understanding of the past and to develop transferrable historical skills.
Regardless of which teacher takes the lessons, a wide range of teaching methods will be used and the lessons will be stimulating. History lessons for all years are intended to be both interesting and designed to prepare students thoroughly for exams and coursework tasks. In a nutshell, lessons are exciting, motivating, challenging and purposeful.
Lessons in each year promote British values and also celebrate the impact other cultures have had on this country throughout history. For example:
Year 7 studies Life in Medieval England with the impact of the Crusades
Year 8 studies The British Empire, its impact on Britain and its colonies, the Slave Trade and Democracy
Year 9 and 10 study the impact of war on Britain but also on Germany and other countries
Year 10 and 11 study the History of Medicine through Time, looking at the influence of different cultures on its progress
Year 12 and 13 study English and European History, the Tudors and the Renaissance
For information on subject trips please visit the Trips page